|Background, News Articles & History of Merina Healing Arts|
|The story behind Merina Healing Arts ...|
A HEALING JOURNEY
The loss of our parents was the catalyst from which “Merina Healing Arts" evolved. Journaling, music and art were sources of strength during the challenges facing our family. The Foundation was established to offer support and benefit others -- patients, caregivers as well as artists and the medical community. Our work with the Foundation continues to be an ongoing healing journey and also serves as a tribute to Catalino & Maria Merina and others who continue to inspire us to live a life of goodness, unconditional love, and to extend a hand to those in need.
Vicky Merina, CMP (Certified Music Practitioner) & Founder,
Merina Healing Arts Foundation
News about arts in healthcare:
- 4/4/2020 - Music takes 13 minutes to ‘release sadness’ and 9 to make you happy, according to new study
- 2/5/2020 - A pediatric surgeon becomes an artist after surgery, drawing on bandages to lift the spirits of young patients
- 12/23/2019 - New Parkinson's Art Exhibit from NYU Steinhardt's Art Therapy Program Shows Patients' 'Resilience'
- 12/5/2019 - The Surprising Psychological Benefits of Dance Therapy
- 9/16/2013 - Grateful Dead drummer displays brain activity, sees therapeutic potential of rhythm
- 9/15/2013 - Art therapy helps children heal after Moore tornado
- 5/27/2013 - Writing becomes a therapeutic act for some veterans
- 11/16/2012 - New Music Therapy Component of Operation Homecoming Program at Walter Reed Medical Center, BrainWorld, Washington, D.C.
- 11/12/2012 - The Art of Healing: Program Connects Artists, Patients, Post Bulletin, Rochester, MN
- 3/14/2012 - Hoping that Art Helps With Healing New York Times
- 7/15/2011 - Why We Need the Arts in Medicine, Minnesota Medicine
- 5/11/2011-Giving Music the Power to Heal, Post Dispatch, St. Louis
- 5/8/2011 - Brain Scans Reveal the Power of Art, The Telegraph, UK
- 12/9/2010 - Music's Health Benefits On Ventilated Patients Revealed, Medical News Today
- 11/4/2010 - Art Therapy Helps Children Cope With Tragedy, CBS 2 New York
- 11/3/2010 - Music Therapists Tune in to Patients' Needs, Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune
- Nov 11, 2009 - Tender Care brings music to lives: Program tunes into the needs of kids with autism NY Daily News
- Nov 2, 2009 - Art therapy helps Alzheimer’s patients connect with past Newport News Daily Press
- Sept 1, 2009 - Tango Embraced as Dance Therapy, Health 24
- Sept 1, 2009 - VA Honors Veterans, Who Are Artists, Performers, Reuters
- August 31, 2009 - Seeing is Healing: Medical units display art to healp patients feel better, Milwaukee Wisconsin Journal Sentinel
- Aug 31, 2009 - Dr. Oz on Complementary Medicine: 'Challenge the Status Quo" -- Renowned Surgeon on the Healing Power of Song, Aromatherapy, Meditation and More, ABC Good Morning America
- February 13, 2009 - Art Therapy Helps Breast Cancer Patients, MSNBC
- February 9, 2009 - Studies Find Music Able to Cue Memories by Matthew Wendling, Daily Vidette
Additional articles can be found at The Society for Arts in Healthcare.
|History of Merina Healing Arts|
The hospitalization of a family member or friend is an experience that we may face—sometimes the circumstances are expected and we have time to prepare, while others are sudden and unforeseen. Each experience brings with it a set of challenges and situations that task our emotional strength. As our family coped with our mother’s hospitalization, and that of our father four years earlier, we were lucky to have support – from the people around us, to the resources made available to us to deal with the physical and emotional challenges that came our way.
The highs and lows we face during a hospital stay, and the availability of healing environments provided the motivation behind the creation of “Merina Healing Arts." Our personal experiences inspired the development of meaningful resources, much like those we utilized during our own time of need, so that others could find similar comfort during their hospitalization. Our hope in establishing “Merina Healing Arts” is to help others cope and manage through their own personal journey through pain, fear, anxiety and faith while they or their loved one is hospitalized.
FOCUS ON HEALING
“Merina Healing Arts” was established to provide support to patients, their families and caregivers through specific art programs and healing environments. Whether that source of comfort is found in visual art, music, journaling or nature, the emphasis of “Merina Healing Arts ” is to help patients and their loved ones cope and be comforted during the hospital stay.